When I first picked up the book from Martin's office, I did not know what to think. I'm 'usually' not the kind who does not know what to think. In fact, if I say nothing it is because I want my peace or I refuse to engage. So, you can imagine the situation: holding the book and just smiling. After all, Martin Egblewogbe is a funny man - not in the ludicrous sense. He likes you to think that he is a happy man.
My first reading of Mr. Happy and the Hammer of God and Other Stories was quite chequered. I saw the minds of people struggling through life - not in the hurriedly way that we are so used to in many stories. It was not too pacy, quite African. Like being told to take your time. It was psychological, it was humane. I later promised Martin a review which I wrote, but never penned down. I recall how a small audience at Cuppa Cappuccino at Airport Residential Area got stunned from a reading by Martin from one of the stories in Mr. Happy.
One thing that I have learnt to cherish from stories are those that do not carry the burden of African villages. I say this in a positive sense to those who have placed their feet so relaxed at the altar of stereotyping the African story. Martin bears no such burden. The stories hold no such traces at the surface and it is such a relief to hear the voices jump at you.
In short, Martin, the author of these fiery stories - in terms of experimentation, style and fierceness - never knew of my impressions. I came across a few reviews of the initial publication of the stories. None satisfied me. As a matter of fact, I never finished reading any single one of them. But like the stories in Mr. happy and the Hammer of God, things have churned out slowly through Coffee drunk at dusk with a perpetual habit of a return to the same location without the observation of any particular thing to the magical reality of strange characters, and here I am writing something for Martin, my friend.
If you are daring, if you have this landlocked ideas about the African novel, if Laing's Big Bishop Roko is as yet to change your obstinate mind; pick up Mr. Happy and the Hammer of God and Other Stories.
Mr. Happy and the Hammer of God and Other Stories will be launched at a small ceremony at the Silverbirds Lifestyle Store at the Accra Mall, Saturday 18 August, 2012 at 2PM. The event is open to the public.
Labels
- Accra (7)
- Africa (4)
- Atta Mills (1)
- China (1)
- Cities (1)
- Election 2012 (3)
- Energy (1)
- Floods (1)
- Ghana (8)
- Ghana Voices Series (1)
- Golden Baobab (1)
- Golden Baobab Prize 2013 (1)
- poetry (9)
- politics (2)
- Pollution (1)
- President Mills (1)
- Search Hero (1)
- Transport (1)
- Writers (6)
Search This Blog
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"I would be quite satisfied if my novels (especially the ones i set in the past) did no more than teach my readers that their past - with all its imperfections - was not one long night of savagery from which the first Europeans acting on God's behalf saved them from."
Morning Yet on Creation Day, 1975. Chinua Achebe.
No comments:
Post a Comment